Marcus Aurelius quotes on discipline, on leadership, on life, on love, on success, courage and resilience.
Marcus Aurelius: Famous Quotes
Marcus Aurelius Antoninus was Roman emperor from 161 to 180 and a Stoic philosopher.
1 “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
2. When you arise in the morning think of what a privilege it is to be alive, to think, to enjoy, to love …
3. “It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live.”
4. “You have power over your mind – not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.”
5. “It never ceases to amaze me: we all love ourselves more than other people, but care more about their opinion than our own.
6. Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.
7. The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts.
8. “The best revenge is to be unlike him who performed the injury.”
9. “If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.”
10. “Whenever you are about to find fault with someone, ask yourself the following question: What fault of mine most nearly resembles the one I am about to criticize?”
11. “Our life is what our thoughts make it.”
12. “Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one.”
13. “Do not act as if you were going to live ten thousand years. Death hangs over you. While you live, while it is in your power, be good.”
14. “Your days are numbered. Use them to throw open the windows of your soul to the sun. If you do not, the sun will soon set, and you with it.”
15. We live only now. Everything else is either passed or is unknown.